Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Original Auntie

Mom just called and told me that Auntie died. Auntie is my great aunt, my grandmother's sister. Her real name was Naomi, and her husband was Red (Now that I read that I wonder if that wasn't his real name...amazing how we don't question things), but I always just called them "Auntie" and "Uncle", although I've had plenty of other aunts and uncles.

I guess they were the real-deal Aunt and Uncle.

I'm sad to think of Auntie gone. She had a long life, though... I'd like to say exactly how long, but because of the big flashing question mark next to Nana's age, it's hard to figure it.

Two prominent memories I have of Auntie (and yes, both involve food):

1) The second-to-last time I visited her, Andy and I hung out with her in her assisted-living apartment and she made us an AWESOME Marie Callender (who Nana always calls "Marie Callas" - funny) Razzleberry pie. In her toaster oven. That was and still is the best pie Andy and I have ever had. Sorry gourmet-foodie-baker friends.

2)Auntie made one of the best desserts EVER (this time not frozen) - 7-Up Salad. Ever hear of it? It rocks! It's all Dream Whip, 7-Up, crushed pineapple and lime Jello. You know it sounds good! I was maybe 10 or 12 when she made it, and I begged her for the recipe. She wrote it out for me. I still have it, at home. I'm totally going to make it when I return.

Here's to you, Auntie. We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment