Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What Is This World Coming To?

I can tolerate a lot. But not this.

I just stumbled on an old survey posted on Pop Sugar UK, asking readers who their favorite Mr. Darcy is from movie adaptations of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" -
Colin Firth from the BBC production; Matthew Macfadyen in the film with Keira Knightly; or Elliot Cowan in an ITV version.

Anyone who knows me knows that I own the BBC version of P&P and watch it several times a year. At least. For me, there is only one Mr. Darcy, and that's Colin Firth. You can't beat a man like that in a role like that.

But, apparently the readers of Pop Sugar UK disagree - Matthew Macfadyen came in on top at 50%, followed by my fave, Colin Firth at 35% and the other guy at 14%.

I just don't understand. Are the readers younger, and can't get into the idea of now-slightly-older Colin? Have they not seen the BBC version? Are they just younger and stupider? I don't get it. It really makes me nervous about the future of our world, particularly regarding pop culture, which is something I hold very closely to my heart.

I think the only way to get out of the funk of disbelief is to go watch my Mr. Darcy. NOW.

Who is YOUR favorite Mr. Darcy? (And if it's anyone but Colin Firth, explain why - please! educate me!)

(For my (and nearly every other woman's) favorite clip, click here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment